Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 5 carrots
- 1 small to medium sweet onion
- 4 cloves of garlic (but you can never use too much!)
- 1 cup each frozen corn and frozen peas (a bag of frozen mixed veggies would also work)
- 2 medium to large chicken breasts, cooked and chopped (I used my Instant Pot)
- 1 tsp turmeric (this is where the color come from!)
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp thyme
- Ready-made pie crust (found in the refrigerated section). Use a cookie cutter in your choice of shape, prick with a fork once or twice and bake until lightly browned. These make delicious "crust crisps" to garnish the soup!
What to do:
- Quarter the onion, half the carrots, peel the garlic, and place in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. (If a food processor is not available, chop ingredients into small chunks)
- Over medium heat, drizzle olive oil in a medium-large pot. Add the celery, onion, carrots and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions start to become translucent.
- Add butter and stir until melted and incorporated.
- Sprinkle the flour over contents of pot and stir for 30-45 seconds, then add the milk and chicken broth
- Add a pinch of course salt, a couple turns from a pepper grinder, parsley, turmeric and thyme.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then take heat down to low and allow it to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes until the soup begins to thicken.
- Add in the frozen vegetables and chopped chicken and cook until heated. 5-10 minutes
- Salt and pepper to your taste preference and serve! If the texture is too thick for your liking, add a couple splashes of milk or chicken broth and stir for a minute to incorporate. If it's too thin, sprinkle a little more flour, stir and allow to cook for 4-5 minutes to thicken.